Johannesburg – Duduzane Zuma has told the commission of inquiry into state capture that he is now willing to appear and testify on his version of events.
Zuma’s legal counsel Dawie Joubert told the inquiry last week that his client would like to testify at the inquiry, but he can’t as he is facing parallel charges related to state capture.
Duduzane Zuma is facing charges related to the bribery of Jonas and has been released on bail and is expected to appear in January 2019 for the case.
Joubert said Duduzane has been charged unfairly as it is clear from the evidence submitted that Jonas did not lay a criminal case against him. Duduzane’s ability to appear before the inquiry is hampered by the case he is facing.
On Monday in the letter read out by Advocate Paul Pretorius, who is part of the commission’s legal team, Zuma said he was willing to appear.
“He is prepared to attend and appear as a witness before the commission in terms of the evidence given by Mcebisi Jonas. We are asked to place this before the commission,” said Pretorius.
“It is good for the process of the commission that Mr Duduzane Zuma has made a decision that he will be prepared to give evidence. This immediately places him in the same positions as those applicants seeking to cross-examine,” said commission chairperson Raymond Zondo.
Jonas told the inquiry that he had been offered the position of finance minister, replacing Nhlanhlana Nene. He said he was offered the position by Ajay Gupta in the presence of Duduzane Zuma and businessman Fana Hlongwane. He added that he was offered a bribe of R600 000 in cash and would later be paid R600 million for taking up the position.
Zuma has applied to cross-examine Jonas.
Zondo is this week expected is expected to rule on whether to allow Rajesh Gupta, Ajay Gupta, and Duduzane Zuma’s applications to cross-examine witnesses.